Sunday, October 7, 2018

What are You Listening To?

For #TESL0120

From the perspective of someone who has already completed most of the other courses in this TESL program, including doing my practicum in a speaking oriented class, I expected the Speaking and Listening skills course to be along the lines of a summary of what I had already learned. I have realized that it is not that straightforward. Of course there has been some overlap between courses, and I have been able to use and build upon some of the other skills and resources I have developed throughout the program. However, as I have found in my own study of a second language, speaking another language, and listening that produces understanding are the most difficult skills to learn and practice, and so are also the most challenging to teach.

This course has given me a clearer understanding of my own L2 journey, and has shown me that there are teachable skills for listening, both to one's L1 as well as in learning an L2. I have also learned that the best way to improve one's speaking skills is to speak the language as much as possible. I will also now have the courage to explain to friends who offer to help me practice speaking that I don't expect them to correct every mistake I make, but that I would be grateful if they would just listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment