Friday, October 26, 2018

Approach - Method - Technique

For TESL0100

Often, these terms are used as if they were interchangeable, but when it comes to language teaching, they really aren't. Based on the definitions given in Brown & Lee (2015, Ch. 2), I have come to understand that "approach" is akin to one's personal philosophy of teaching and learning language. From that, "methods" (note the plural) are the systematic ways that one plans the classroom environment, the relationship between teacher and students, and the interaction between students' L1s and the L2 that in being taught. Different methods may be used to teach different skills, or throughout the length of a course or even during one lesson. "Techniques" are the fine points of delivering information to students and eliciting language, and hopefully learning, from them.

So what is my approach to teaching ESL? Since I have very little experience yet, this is hard to pin down. However, I will paraphrase what I said in an earlier blog. I don't just teach (algebra/chemistry/ English), I teach people. So for now, I will define my approach as one of teaching the whole person. Sooner or later, all education coursebooks get around to referring to the psychology of education, and to the concept of affect, or emotion. The reason for this is that for someone to learn something, they need to have a personal stake in it, which boils down to emotion, be it positive or negative. (Although I think in general a positive emotional engagement is going to have a more successful outcome.) And so, this is what underlies my approach to teaching the whole person: I will use whatever methods and techniques that are both appropriate for the skills and content that are the focus of the lesson, and that will engage the emotions of my students.

In Brown & Lee (2105) I read about the various historical methods that have swung like a pendulum to address the various philosophies or approaches to language teaching through the history. At first glance, some of them seem counterproductive or at best a little absurd, but when they are examined more closely, and compared to the currently accepted approach of "Communicative Language Teaching", one begins to see that some elements of each of them can contribute positively to a successful experience for the students and the teacher.

Below is a drawing I made ('art" was never on my list) to illustrate my approach to using a variety of methods during the course of just one day's lesson. I hope you find it emotionally engaging (as in have yourself an LOL!)


Resources:

Brown, H.D. & Lee, H., (2015), Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy, 4th ed., Pearson Education Inc., White Plains, NY, pp.15. 

No comments:

Post a Comment