Friday, October 19, 2018

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”

—The Doctor, Season 7, Christmas Special

For #TESL0100 

Ah, the Lesson Plan! It's the bane of teachers in training everywhere. We know we need them, but we long for the day when we have enough experience that we can dash them off in ten minutes or even "wing it" in the classroom without one. But it doesn't really work that way, does it?


I have discovered this week that there are many ways to represent a lesson plan. In past courses, I have made them very detailed to the point of over-doing it. I didn't write a two-hour word-by-word script, but in trying to give enough information so that a substitute teacher could follow, I probably included such an overwhelming amount of information that someone, including myself, could get tied up trying to follow it all. I left no room for variation or the "teachable moment". 


Sometimes the "plan" is simply a set of goals for the class. Sometimes it is objectives and a sequence of tasks with suggested (!) time frames. Sometimes, as when I was teaching algebra, it is a few notes and arrows in the margin of a textbook, or a series of headings prepared in advanced to be projected so the notes and examples could be filled in as I went along. And I would submit that even the most experienced teacher has their materials in a file, ready to go, and a plan in their mind of what will happen, in what sequence, throughout the day. After all, The Doctor always has a plan, even if much of the time it is simply to "Run!"


Resources:  Ruhlin, C. (2013), 20 Great Doctor Who Quotes, retrieved from https://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2013/06/20-great-doctor-who-quotes.html

x

No comments:

Post a Comment