Thursday, October 25, 2018

Adapt to Continuous Enrollment

For #TESL0100

When asked to think about what I would do in a class where students could be  beginning  the class on a weekly basis, here is what I thought I could do to help my students settle in  quickly and to minimize disruption to the class.
I would find this to be a very challenging environment, as I assume that this also means some students would be leaving a different times once they have accomplished their goals. Thus it would present an ever-changing dynamic in the classroom and continual re-evaluation of how students are working together. I would hope that I would have some idea of when students will be joining or leaving, so I can work out what to do and who to enlist before it happens. 
Here are the steps I would take:
  • I would identify one or two students who are friendly and inclusive during group work so that a newcomer could be placed in a group or pair with one of them (ambassadors). I would let these students know that I will be pairing newcomers with them so that they can make them feel welcome and introduce them to others when appropriate. 
  • If there is not a chance to meet with the new student before class, I would welcome them and get their name quickly and then seat them next to the ambassador. I would introduce only this person at first and reassure the new student that they will meet the rest of the class as we proceed.
  • I would also let them know that they can just observe or participate if they are comfortable during the first class.
  • During a break, I would speak to the new student and give them a needs assessment to complete, and ask them to stay after class for a few minutes.
  • At this meeting after class, I would make sure they have the required materials and contact information, and also inform them of the class procedures, expectations and etiquette (this would either be on paper or posted in the room.)
  • I would answer any questions they have and tell them to contact me or come to class a little early, or ask their ambassador or other students if they have any questions later.
  • I would let them know that after the first day of observing, they will be expected to begin participating in class.  
Since some students will be leaving at various times, I would have to keep updating my list of "ambassadors", and make sure there are two or three willing to help on any day. 
I welcome suggestions or comments for this scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment