Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Back to the beginning

#TESL0100

My Personal Learning Network Diagram

After having taken all but two of the TESL courses last fall and in the spring of this year, I now find myself going back to the beginning, that is the Fundamentals course. Of course there is some overlap with what I have already learned, but going back to the beginning has prompted me to think about and reaffirm my reasons for embarking on this challenging field of study.

Since I have not previously been a language teacher (although it could be argued that Mathematics is a kind of language), I sometimes feel out of place or inadequately prepared to take on this task. However, after reading the introductions by my classmates, I am reassured that we all come to this with different backgrounds and skills, I am reassured that my teaching experience, along with my own love of language and penchant for learning, will serve me well in this pursuit.

I am also delighted to see that the size of the class is much larger that it was last year, indicating that this area of teaching is growing and that we will continue to expand the cohort of teachers and learners who can help and encourage each other.

Here's an older approach to language instruction:

"Pickering, we have taken on a stiff job." -Henry Higgins, Pygmalion (1912) by George Bernard Shaw



No comments:

Post a Comment