Sunday, January 21, 2018

I'm an Actor...

...but I only get paid to be a teacher. I have often felt that what I do in the classroom is a performance. I get nervous on the first day of the semester, because I am starting with a new "audience". I spend time outside of the "theatre"  researching and rehearsing. I get there early to make sure the "stage" is ready and I have all my "props". I stay late if someone needs me to run through the "scene" again.



Sometimes, I'm also the writer preparing the materials, the director leading the progress of the "show" and instructing the other "actors" what to do, and even the stage hand who cleans up after the "performance" is over. It's exhausting.

Being a successful student is hard work, too. Juggling classes, family and the rest of life's demands can leave one discouraged at times. As teachers, we have a unique perspective among professions on how our clients feel, because we were (or still are) in their shoes.

Because of our own busy lives, it is tempting to teach the textbook or teach the test and assume the students will make do and learn what they need from that. However, I have seen this week that doing the extra work to include resources and authentic materials other than the textbook is worthwhile for the students, but also for me. By using these additional materials and "keeping it real", I can come closer to giving the students what they need to learn not only the language but how and when and why to use it. And I can fulfill my own desire to serve a useful purpose and make a difference to students' lives. Why else would I want to do this job for "scale"?

#resources #CDNelt

Vicky Isliefson


No comments:

Post a Comment